A Message To All Members Of Our Community:
During this time of uncertainty following the election, we are of aware of and understand your concerns and fears. We stand with you during this time. We want you to know that we are here for you and will continue to fight for you and your family.
We cannot predict what exactly will happen when Trump becomes the president. However, here are a few things that we do know:
- Trump has stated that he will undo DACA, which is sometimes referred to as the “Dream Act.” It is unclear whether this will occur, or how or when it will occur if he follows through.
- Trump has said he will prioritize deportation for people who have criminal convictions.
- Currently ICE and other immigration officials have power to decide to not deport people and to stop deportations of people whose cases are in court. Trump may try to limit that power.
Any changes will likely take time to implement. We expect policies and procedures to become more restrictive during the new administration.
If you would like to review your case strategy, please call our office to make an appointment. We will also be reaching out to clients pursuing certain types of cases if we think our strategy may need to be changed, or if there are new considerations.
The primary recommendation we can make right now is to move as quickly as possible on your case. The sooner we finish your case, the better, so your cooperation and action is essential.
- Turn in any missing information
- Send in all supporting evidence for your case
- Collect further evidence while your case is pending, in case immigration officials request additional information
If you or someone you love may qualify for an immigration benefit, please do not delay in speaking with a lawyer.
As always, we are here to advocate for you and are prepared to face whatever challenges may arise with fierce determination. Do not give up hope as we continue moving forward together.
Kristin A. Knudson Eric M. Johnson